What I miss about Mexico

Teopanzolco Ruins - Leonardo Sanchez Miranda
Teopanzolco Ruins in Cuernavaca, Morelos

Letting people know that you're not from the USA leads to a lot of different questions, sometimes about me, sometimes about culture, sometimes about politics (yes, really...).  One of the most common questions is "What do you miss about Mexico?" and I guess the most common answer is the most obvious, my family. 

The grandparents
My parents with my little kid.


When I leave Mexico, my mom just had a really bad accident, and she was in bed without being able to move.  My dad was in between jobs, and the country was a hot mess.  I felt horrible, leaving my parents and not being able to help them out as I would've liked, but my son was already in the USA after I drove almost 38 hours straight to Missouri to leave him and my wife with her parents, I had spent the last few months organizing everything, I had quit my job, sold my car and all the extra stuff I didn't need, spent more than "a little too much" getting all my documents in order and had my plane tickets.

I remember my mom early in the morning telling me to hurry up or I would miss my plane. She didn't want to say goodbye and neither did I. She gave me a kiss and made the sign of the cross on my forehead before she told me to have fun.  My dad drove me to the bus station and waited outside at 4 am for my bus to pass so I could wave goodbye.  That was the last time I saw them in person.

My family
My parents and I sometime in the 80's
Things haven't been all nice in Mexico since I left 5 years ago.  My mom has healed from her injuries, and she's doing what she loves, singing.  I talk to them every day, and thanks to Facebook, Skype, and WhatsApp they get to see and talk with their grandson every day. So is not as bad as it might seem.

I get to video-chat with my grandmother, uncles and aunts every now and then also, but still, it's not the same.

Spanish Paella
Spanish Paella


The next thing I would say I miss from Mexico is, the food!  Tacos, Tortas, Tamales, Carnitas, Quesadillas, Queso Oaxaca, fresh Tortillas de Maiz, Agua de Sabores, Tinga, and so many other delicious dishes.  Don't get me wrong, the food here is good, but I really miss some nice homemade food with family and friends.

Food is a little different here in the USA, Mexican food is spicy, less sugary, and corn, rice, and beans are the base of happiness. 

Mexican Wedding
My wedding
The next thing I miss would be the social interactions. People here are amazing, and they definitely know how to have a good time.  But you just need to go down to Mexico and you'll realize why the Mexican stereotype should change to be a guy dancing and singing 24/7.  We love to get together for everything. Every time we have to do things on our own, we prefer to spend it surrounded by friends and family.  We will organize a get together for any reason, even because it's Monday, why not?  the more people around, the better.   We depend on each other quite a bit, so I guess it makes sense to socialize as much as possible.

Mercado de Tepoztlan
Mercado in Tepoztlan


There are a few other things I miss, like the nice churches, we have tons of them, and they're really pretty.  The large amount of archeological places to visit, the open Mercados, the street vendors and the inexpensive services.  Did I mention "free" healthcare?

There are tons of things that I can think about.  Do I want to go back?  maybe one day, to visit.  But for now, my life is here with my son, and I wish I'll have what it takes to help him become what he wants to be, whatever that might be.

Thanks for reading!

Leonardo Jaime Alejandro Sanchez Miranda says "Gracias amigo!". :)

Comments

Popular Posts